Hello, I’m Mary Buchan, This is my Midlife Story
I am an Expert Midlife Reinventor, working with women to help them reinvent their lives, from changing careers to getting physically fit or more spiritually connected. I know what it’s like to feel lost and fearful in midlife. And I know the enthusiasm and contentment that living “on purpose” can bring.
Midlife gives us an opportunity to dig down deep, get clear on where we are headed and how we will get there. To streamline our lives and find more emotional, physical and spiritual balance. It’s a time to embrace our Life Purpose and create the life of our dreams.
I hit midlife searching for a “new identity” but had no idea where to go. As an over-50 empty-nester, with a nurse cap I wasn’t sure what to do with, I needed something fulfilling and fun to do with my life. That’s when I took a giant leap out of my comfort zone and created my new brand, Midlifestyle RNventor.
I was excited about my new adventure, but had no clear plan for where I was headed. As I ventured out to find my new path, I quickly became overworked, overwhelmed, and exhausted. I spent months searching for the perfect nurses’ niche creating the perfect website and career plan but didn’t even know if I was on the right highway! It seemed like there was more to life that I should be experiencing.
That’s when I took a rest stop to do some self-discovery. I soon realized that I was limiting my vision by thinking too small. Through prayer, asking myself some deep questions, and studying the principles of happiness and well-being, I reinvented myself, repurposed my nurses’ cap, and found my new calling in life.
As a Speaker, Author, Blogger, and Midlifestyle RNventor, I help Midlife Women who feel stuck discover and align with their life’s purpose so they can thrive, inspire others, and make the rest of their life the best of their life.
Read my bio and articles on The Huffington Post here.
I attended Capital University School of Nursing in Columbus, Ohio, where I earned my degree: Bachelor of Science in Nursing. I have a current North Carolina Nursing License, and my certifications include the following:
- Nutrition Specialist (American Academy of Sports Nutrition)
- Certified Strength & Conditioning Instructor (Pro Health Sports & Fitness Institute)
- Certified Life Coach (with I Live The Source)
- Wellness Program Coordinator (with WebMD)
- More than 17 years as a medical surgical nurse in a hospital setting.
- Over 10 years of experience in community health and wellness nursing, providing preventive healthcare, health education, weight loss, and wellness programs.
- Worked as a Health Coach helping hundreds of people lose weight, including employees of Carolinas Health Care System through a Medical Referral Program called Live Well Carolina.
- Effective public speaker, facilitator, and instructor in forums such as businesses, churches, and civic groups, YMCA’s, hospitals, senior citizens’ and women’s groups. Topics include nutrition, fitness, stress management, weight loss, work-life balance and disease-specific education.
- Program coordinator of healthy lifestyle programs and support groups, including stroke, cancer, diabetes, weight loss, and cardiac rehabilitation.
- Leadership as a corporate health nurse with Carolinas Healthcare and the YMCA, providing health evaluations, fitness prescriptions, and individual consultations.
- RN Health Coach and Worksite Wellness nurse at various corporations and businesses.
- I recently repurposed my nurses’ cap as a life reinvention coach, speaker and author of the new book Over iT ~ How to live Above your circumstances and Beyond yourself
Now available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/author/marybuchan
Areas of Specialization:
My true passion is to help women age 40 and over navigate through the transitions of life.I want to help them live life with purpose, meaning, and fun as they discover their design and mission.I love coaching women through empty nests, menopause, and reinvention. I’m convinced you can make the rest of your life the best of your life!
Fun facts About Me:
- I’m a recent graduate of the Super Mom’s Academy. The last of my 3 babies is now grown and flown. I survived the boot camp years of parenting, including being a taxi mom, basketball mom (my baby is 6’4’ and wears a 15 shoe), and survivor of the zombie mom years when my teenagers seemed like aliens. The dust is now settling on my empty nest, and I’m looking forward to a new chapter in life.
- Spanx and Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy have been life changers for me!
- I listen to classic rock while I’m driving. What’s funny, my son and I like the same music. I play my electric air guitar at stop lights and the music gets turned up full throttle when Aerosmith comes on with their hit “Walk This Way.”
- I love murder mysteries and romantic comedies. Hulu & Netflix have made it possible for me to have my own cinema therapy mini-marathons with shows like Lost, Heroes, and Downton Abbey.
- I thrive on exercise! I used to run, and once finished the 26.2-mile Marine Corps Marathonin Washington, DC. But lately I have switched to power walking, which is much easier on the joints!
- As a singer/songwriter I’ve spent many years writing, performing and producing music projects, including Hidden Door with Lamon Records. I have recently discovered Jazz and am currently an artist with Laser Records, Click Mari to hear my latest release on Laser Records.
- I served as a Medical Missionary in Haiti. I will always have a Haiti-Shaped place in my heart! Check out this You-Tube song co-written with Laser Records Founder & CEO Andre Ferreri, The Day Haiti Quaked (By Mari)
- I love being a Baby Boomer (and you can follow me on Twitter @babyboomerchix and Facebook) I’m at the tail end of the Boomer generation, so I call myself a caboose. I hope to show the world that at 50 (or so) you can still be edgy, creative, attractive, sexy, and productive in life. Watch out world, we Boomers are not finished yet. We’re still out to change the world!
- One of my favorite things to do is blog. I love to research, write, and learn. I just celebrated my one- year “Blog-Aversary.” It’s so much fun to write & collaborate with Baby Boomer Chix like me…and Baby Boomer Chaps are also welcome! Join me and my team on an exciting adventure into our second adulthood as we share our stories and redefine what it means to age well.